1. Introducing Divorcepath for Word
Divorcepath for Word is an innovative add-in for Microsoft Word that aims to simplify the divorce process by allowing users to access Divorcepath Pro Tools within Word. This means you can now view and edit client profiles, create, edit and save legal documents to Divorcepath using Divorcepath client data, and update calculations within financial documents, all without having to leave the Word application.
Divorcepath for Word is designed to streamline the divorce process for lawyers, making it faster and easier to create documents and manage client information. With this tool, lawyers can focus on providing legal advice and support to their clients, while Divorcepath for Word helps streamline administrative tasks.
In this support documentation, we will guide you through the installation process, how to use Divorcepath for Word, and answer some frequently asked questions to help you get started.
1.2 System Requirements
Before installing Divorcepath for Word, please ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements.
To use Divorcepath for Word, you will need an active Divorcepath Pro Tools subscription, which will provide you with access to the Divorcepath platform, where you can manage your client profiles and legal documents.
You will also need a licensed copy of Microsoft Word, which can be either the desktop version of Word or Office Online. Divorcepath for Word is compatible with the desktop versions of Microsoft Word 2016 or later on Windows and Word 2016 or later on macOS.
To install the add-in, you will need to have the ability to install add-ins for Microsoft Word in the usual way. This means that you will need to have administrative rights to your computer and the latest updates installed for your Microsoft Word application.
In summary, to use Divorcepath for Word, you will need:
• An active Divorcepath Pro Tools subscription
• A copy of Microsoft Word Office 2016, Version 1509 or later (or access to Office Online)
• Administrative rights to your computer and the ability to install add-ins for Microsoft Word in the usual way.
1.3 Installation and Activation
To install Divorcepath for Word add-in, you can follow the steps below:
1. Open Microsoft Word.
2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
3. Click on the "Add-ins" button in the ribbon.
4. In the Add-ins pane, click the "Store" link.
5. In the Office Add-ins window, search for "Divorcepath for Word".
6. Click "Add" to install the add-in.
7. To activate the add-in, you may need to close and reopen Microsoft Word. Once the add-in is installed and activated, the "Divorcepath" tab will appear in the Microsoft Word ribbon.
8. The Divorcepath for Word add-in will now be activated and ready to use. You can access it by clicking on the 'Divorcepath' button on the Microsoft Word "Home" tab.
To log in to Divorcepath through the add-in task pane, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the "Show Divorcepath" button in the ribbon to display the Divorcepath task pane.
2. Enter your Divorcepath login credentials in the login window.
3. Click "Log in" to log in to Divorcepath.
Once you have logged in, you can use the add-in to access your Divorcepath documents, client information and other features of the app.
It's important to note that you will need to be connected to the internet to use the Divorcepath for Word add-in. Once installed, the add-in will automatically update when new versions are released, so you can always be sure you're using the latest version.
By following these simple steps, you can install and activate the Divorcepath for Word add-in and begin managing your client profiles and legal documents more efficiently.
If you ever need to uninstall the Divorcepath for Word add-in, you can do so by following the steps below:
1. Open Microsoft Word.
2. Click on the 'Insert' tab and select 'Add-ins.'
3. In the Add-ins dialog box, click on 'My Add-ins.'
4. Locate the Divorcepath for Word add-in and click on the three-dot menu icon to the right of it.
5. Select 'Remove' from the drop-down menu.
6. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to remove the add-in. Click on 'Yes.'
7. The Divorcepath for Word add-in will be uninstalled from Microsoft Word.
It's important to note that uninstalling the Divorcepath for Word add-in will not affect your client profiles or legal documents stored on the Divorcepath platform. These will still be accessible through your Divorcepath Pro Tools account.
By following these simple steps, you can uninstall the Divorcepath for Word add-in if you no longer need it.
2. Getting Started
2.1 Add-In Interface Overview
Once you have successfully installed and activated the Divorcepath for Word add-in, you can start using it to access your client profiles and legal documents.
The Divorcepath for Word add-in interface is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. All of the Divorcepath for Word add-in features are accessible through the add-in task pane. You'll need to display the task pane to access Divorcepath for Word. After installing the add-in, you can display the task pane by clicking the "Divorcepath" button in the Home tab of your Word ribbon.
In the Divorcepath task pane, you will see several buttons at the top of the window that control your current view and display different tools. Here's a quick overview of each button:
1. Document: If a Divorcepath document is open, this view is displayed by default. If you are in another view, clicking the "Document" button will display information about the current document as well as tools for editing the document. The document tools are described in more detail in the next section below.
2. Client Profiles: This button allows you to view and manage your client profiles. If a Divorcepath document is currently open, the active client will automatically be highlighted at the top of this view, and the client card expanded, so you can view the current active client's saved profile information or create a new document for the client. The client list features are described in more detail under a separate heading below.
3. Settings: Clicking the settings button allows you to access the sign-out function, to sign out of Divorcepath. If you sign-out, you'll have to log back in to use any Divorcepath features or access your client list.
2.2 Quick Start
To use the Divorcepath for Word add-in, follow the steps below:
1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the 'Divorcepath' tab in the menu bar.
2. Click on the 'Show Divorcepath' button to display the Divorcepath add-in task pane.
3. In the task pane, view your client profiles and select any profile. From there, you can edit client information and access client documents.
4. Click on the 'Documents' tab in a client profile to view the client's documents. From there, you can create new documents or edit existing ones.
5. To create a new court form document, click on the 'New Document' button within the 'Documents' tab of a client profile. You will be able to choose from a selection of Divorcepath templates.
6. To edit an existing document, click on the document to open it in a new Microsoft Word window. The Divorcepath task pane should open automatically, enabling you to access Divorcepath document tools for the document.
7. Once you have completed editing, click on the 'Save Document' button to save it to Divorcepath. You can also save the document locally using the standard Word interface. Note that saving the document locally will not save it to the Divorcepath client profile.
8. Use the 'Settings' button to customize your Divorcepath for Word settings, including your account information and default settings.
By following these simple steps, you can use the Divorcepath for Word add-in to manage your client profiles and legal documents more efficiently.
3 Features and Functionality
3.1 Divorcepath Documents
3.1.1 Edit Documents
With the Divorcepath for Word add-in, you can edit documents created using Divorcepath just like any other Word document. This means you can modify the form layout, content, or details and complete any blank sections as needed.
To edit a document, open the document from the 'Documents' tab of the client's profile, or by searching for the document in the Divorcepath task-pane or toolbar. Once the document is open, you can make any necessary changes to the content, formatting, or layout of the document.
When you are finished editing the document, you can save it using the "Save" button in the Divorcepath task-pane or toolbar. This will automatically update the document in the client's profile, so that the latest version is always accessible to you and your team.
It's worth noting that any changes made to a document created using Divorcepath should be consistent with the Rules of Court for your jurisdiction. If you are uncertain about the requirements for a particular court form, you should consult with a lawyer before making any modifications.
In summary, the Divorcepath for Word add-in makes it easy to edit and modify documents created using Divorcepath. By providing a simple and intuitive interface for editing documents within Word, you can save time and focus on providing high-quality legal services to your clients.
3.1.2 Document Tools
When working in a Divorcepath document, the default view is set to the Document tab in the Divorcepath task pane. The document tab displays information about the document and provides access to document tools, including file management, table-related tools, and a summary of the client profile data used in the document.
The file management tools include:
1. Save: use this button to save the document to Divorcepath.
2. Copy: create a copy of the current document for the current client, which will be saved separately in Divorcepath.
3. New: create a new document for the client. Displays the "Create Document" modal which allows you to select the type of document you wish to create.
4. Reset: reset the field values in the document to match the data saved to the client profile, where there is a corresponding profile field.
5. Regenerate: re-create the document based on the same template and profile data. This resets any edits made to the document.
You can edit the name of the document by clicking on it at the top of the Document pane.
The Table Tools include:
1. Add Row: this button will be active when your cursor is in a table. If clicked, this button adds a new row to the current table, and creates a new financial item (property, debt, budget, income etc.) corresponding to the values you enter in the document.
2. Delete Row: delete the current table row and any associated financial item.
Displayed below the Table Tools section, the Document Data section displays the client profile data that is used in the current document. Only fields that are used in the document are displayed. If you need to view other profile data not used in the document, click the "Profile" tab in this section. You can also view a list of the other documents saved to the same client by clicking the "Other Documents" tab.
3.1.3 Automatic Calculations
In financial court forms such as the Net Family Property Statement, accurate calculations are crucial. To help ensure that calculations are always up-to-date and correct, the Divorcepath for Word add-in includes an automatic calculation feature.
To use this feature, simply enter financial information in the document, and wait for the calculations to update. Divorcepath will automatically update the calculations in the document, ensuring that subtotals and totals are correctly displayed based on the income, debt, and property information entered into the form. Note that the add-in must be fully loaded for calculations to update automatically, and it may take several seconds for the calculations to update once the add-in has loaded.
After updating the calculations, the financial information will be saved to the client profile, so it can be used to generate other documents if needed. This means that you only need to enter the financial information once, and the updated information will be used in any new documents you create (existing documents are not altered and may need to be updated separately).
It's important to note that while the automatic calculation feature can save time and effort, it's still essential to review the calculations and ensure the amounts are accurate before submitting any court documents. Any errors or discrepancies could result in serious legal consequences, so it's always best to double-check financial statements manually.
In summary, the automatic calculation feature in Divorcepath for Word can help ensure that financial court forms are accurate and up-to-date. By simplifying the calculation process and automatically updating subtotals and totals, this feature can save time and improve the quality of legal services provided to clients.
3.2 Divorcepath Client List
3.1.1 View Client Profiles
One of the key features of the Divorcepath for Word add-in is its ability to access and manage client profiles. Client profiles contain important information about your clients, including their personal details, financial information, and legal documents.
In the Divorcepath for Word add-in, client profiles are organized into several tabs, each containing specific information:
• The 'Intake' tab contains client intake information, such as the date of intake, the source of the referral, and the reason for the client's visit.
• The 'Profile' tab contains basic profile information, such as the client's name, date of birth, address, and contact information.
• The 'Finances' tab contains financial information, such as employment history, property and debt, income, and other financial calculations.
• The 'Documents' tab contains court forms created using Divorcepath, as well as any other documents that have been saved to the client's profile.
With the Divorcepath for Word add-in, you can easily access, view, and edit client profiles directly within Microsoft Word. This makes it easier to manage your clients' information and create legal documents using their profile data. By using the Divorcepath for Word add-in to manage your client profiles, you can save time and streamline your workflow.
3.1.2 Add / Edit Client Profiles
Editing client profiles in the Divorcepath for Word add-in is easy and straightforward. To edit the information in a particular tab of a client profile, simply click on that tab to open it. You can then add, modify, or delete information as needed.
For example, if you want to update a client's contact information, you would navigate to the 'Profile' tab of their profile, click on the relevant field, and make the necessary changes. Once you have finished making changes, you can save the updated profile to Divorcepath using the 'Save' button.
It's important to note that any changes made to a client's profile will be automatically synced with the Divorcepath platform. This ensures that your client data is always up-to-date and accurate, and that any legal documents you create using the Divorcepath for Word add-in are based on the most current client data.
Additionally, you can also use the Divorcepath for Word add-in to create new client profiles from within Microsoft Word. This is helpful when you are first starting to work with a new client and need to collect their information. Simply click the "Add" button at the top of the client list, and follow the prompts to create a new client profile.
3.1.3 Create Court Forms & Documents
The Divorcepath for Word add-in also includes a powerful document creation feature that allows you to create court forms directly from a client's profile. This can save you a lot of time and effort, as the add-in will automatically populate the forms with the relevant client data.
To create a new court form document, simply navigate to the 'Documents' tab of the client's profile and click on the 'New Document' button. This will open the 'Create Document' modal, where you can select the jurisdiction and court for the document. By default, these settings will be based on the client and organization's settings.
Once you have selected the jurisdiction and court, you can browse the list of court forms available or use the search function to find a specific form. Once you have found the form you need, simply click on it to generate the document. The add-in will automatically merge any relevant client information into the form, making it easier for you to complete the form quickly and accurately.
Once you have created the document, it will be saved to the client's document list within Divorcepath. You can access the document at any time by navigating to the 'Documents' tab of the client's profile. Additionally, the document will automatically open in a new Microsoft Word window, allowing you to review and make any necessary changes before printing or submitting the form to the court.
With the Divorcepath for Word add-in, creating court forms has never been easier. By automating the document creation process and integrating it directly into Microsoft Word, you can save time, reduce errors, and focus on what you do best: helping your clients navigate the legal system.
If you encounter any issues while using the Divorcepath for Word add-in, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take before contacting support.
• Check your internet connection: Ensure that your internet connection is stable and that you are connected to the internet. The add-in requires a stable internet connection to access and save data to the Divorcepath platform.
• Ensure that you have an active Divorcepath Pro Tools subscription: You must have an active Divorcepath Pro Tools subscription to use the Divorcepath for Word add-in.
• Check for software updates: Check to see if there are any updates available for Microsoft Word. Installing the latest updates may help to resolve any issues.
• Restart Microsoft Word and the Divorcepath for Word add-in: If you are experiencing issues with the add-in, try restarting Microsoft Word and the Divorcepath for Word add-in.
• Reinstall the add-in: If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Divorcepath for Word add-in.
If you have tried these troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing issues, please contact Divorcepath support using our online chat or support e-mail address for further assistance.
Divorcepath for Word is highly customizable to meet the specific needs of each organization, user, and client. The default values for court forms are based on the user's organization settings, user settings, and client profile settings. These settings can all be configured to control the type of information and content of the forms.
5.1 Organization Settings
Organization settings include the organization's address, default jurisdiction, court, and court location. These settings can be edited in the Divorcepath platform under the "Organization Settings" menu. By default, Divorcepath uses the organization's primary address as the default address for court forms.
5.2 User Settings
User settings include the user's name, location (if the organization has more than one location) and professional title and contact information. These settings can be edited in the Divorcepath platform under the "Profile Settings" menu. By default, Divorcepath uses the name and title of the lawyer assigned to the client (if any) as the default user information for court forms created for each client.
5.3 Client Settings
Client settings include information about any court actions such as the court action number, court, and court location, as well as the name and contact information for any opposing counsel or other legal representation. These settings can be edited under the "Profile" tab for each client within the Divorcepath for Word add-in.
By default, Divorcepath uses the client's jurisdiction and court information as the default court information for court forms.
By default, the client jurisdiction and court information is set to the default jurisdiction and court associated with the default location of the lawyer assigned to the client profile.
6.1 Common Issues
Some common issues that users might experience include:
• Unable to install the Divorcepath for Word add-in:
– Check if your system meets the minimum requirements for installing the add-in.
– Try installing the add-in using a different browser or device.
– Make sure that you have a stable internet connection while installing the add-in.
• The add-in is installed, but the Divorcepath tab is not appearing in Microsoft Word:
– Restart Microsoft Word and see if the Divorcepath tab appears.
– Check if the add-in is disabled in Microsoft Word by going to "File" > "Options" > "Add-ins" and enabling the Divorcepath add-in.
– Try uninstalling and reinstalling the add-in.
• The add-in is installed, but the task pane is not showing up:
– Check if the task pane is hidden by going to "View" > "Task Panes" and enabling the Divorcepath task pane.
– Try restarting Microsoft Word and see if the task pane appears.
– Try uninstalling and reinstalling the add-in.
• The add-in is not functioning as expected, such as documents not saving or calculations not updating:
– Check if you have a stable internet connection while using the add-in.
– Try restarting Microsoft Word and see if the issue is resolved.
– Try uninstalling and reinstalling the add-in.
For further assistance, contact Divorcepath support for assistance by sending an email to [email protected] or using the in-app chat feature (recommended).
6.2 How to Report an Issue
If you experience any of the common issues or other issues while using the Divorcepath for Word add-in, please follow these steps to report the issue:
1. Check if the issue has already been reported. You can do this by checking the Divorcepath knowledge base or community forum.
2. If the issue has not been reported, gather as much information as possible about the issue, such as what you were doing when the issue occurred, any error messages you received, and the steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Contact Divorcepath support by sending an email to [email protected] or using the in-app chat feature (recommended). Include the information gathered in the previous step.
6.3 Support Resources
If you need further assistance with the Divorcepath for Word add-in, the following resources are available:
• The Divorcepath knowledge base, which contains articles on how to use Divorcepath for Word and troubleshoot common issues.
• The Divorcepath community forum, where you can post questions and receive answers from the Divorcepath community and support team.
• Email support at [email protected].
7. Frequently Asked Questions
7.1 How do I access Divorcepath for Word?
Divorcepath for Word is available as an add-in for Microsoft Word. To use Divorcepath for Word, you will need to install the add-in from the Microsoft Office Store. Once installed, the Divorcepath tab will appear in Word, and you can access the features of the add-in from there.
7.2 Can I use Divorcepath for Word on a Mac?
Yes, Divorcepath for Word is available for both Microsoft Windows and MacOS versions of Word, as well as other platforms using Office Online.
7.3 Do I need a Divorcepath account to use the add-in?
Yes, you will need to have a Divorcepath account to use the add-in. The add-in is designed to work with the Divorcepath platform, which provides the client profile and document management features that are necessary for the add-in to function.
7.4 How do I create a new client profile in Divorcepath for Word?
To create a new client profile, open the Divorcepath tab in Word and click on the "New Client Profile" button. This will open a new client profile form, which you can fill out with the relevant client information.
7.5 How do I edit a client profile in Divorcepath for Word?
To edit a client profile, open the client profile in Divorcepath for Word and make the necessary changes to the profile information. Click on the "Save" button to save the changes to the client profile.
7.6 How do I create a new court form in Divorcepath for Word?
To create a new court form, open the client profile in Divorcepath for Word and go to the "Documents" tab. Click on the "New Document" button, select the jurisdiction and court for the document, and then select the specific court form to create. The form will be generated automatically with the client information merged into the form.
7.7 How do I update calculations in a financial court form in Divorcepath for Word?
To update calculations in a financial court form, open the court form in the "Edit Document" modal and click on the "Update Calculations" button. The calculations in the document will be updated automatically based on the client's financial information.